Friday, February 13, 2009

kilkenny's - i think she looked like a moe.


As Molly Malaney would say "I'm a typical mid-western girl." As I would say "What the hell is up with roundabouts?" I am used to 4-way stops. They make sense to me. You get there first, you go. You wait your turn but you are at worst 3 cars away from moving. Someone please explain to me what is fair about waiting at a yield while an uber-dominant string of cars coming from the highway not on your side cruise for minutes, literally minutes. Gracias a dios. That was just an intro, tonight actually was really nice. I've been really wanting to meet people. And while living where I live is beautiful, it has proven more of a challenge than the middle of the jungle to meet folks. Ash, the guy who more or less got me this job recommended tonight that I go to a bar called Kilkenny's. Two months in Grand Rapids with very few social options and an often desperate need to escape social situations has gotten me well acquainted with going to the bar alone. Tonight, I set out again sola. This turned out great though. What I thought was a South Park reference turned out to be an outstanding Irish hole in the wall with chill decor, a stellar jukebox and friendly people. I ended up sitting in between two people that work there (on their "night off") and got a few drinks bought for me because they wanted to make sure the new girl in town felt welcome. I may be going bowling with them next Saturday which may end up being the most random thing I have done so far in NH. The point of the picture though, before I met anyone I sat watching this lady who was originally sitting next to me at the bar. After finishing her drink she walked behind the bar and with more grace and class than I have seen in a while she got ready for her shift. Each move she made, rolling towels and sticking them in specific spots, preparing the bar and sinks, all the while keeping up with genuinely friendly conversation. Everything she did was done with careful thought and consideration. It made me think about Karma Yoga, something that was explained to me in Costa Rica. It basically means putting all your enegery into whatever you are doing not because you want to get something out of it, but because you recognize that you are alive just this moment and the present is all you have. She radiated with that light. I am pretty sure that it is becuase of her good vibes right when I sat down that I had such a great night.

No comments:

Post a Comment