Sunday, March 1, 2009

glenbrook: a state of emergen-C



Well, alright. It's Sunday and I'm thankful for it. Friday marked the end of "winter camps" of all sorts and I'm glad. Roomie Dan bit the dust early this week with a wicked case of 'too much snotty nosed kid exposure' sickness and the rest of the staff wasn't far behind. He was by far the worst off - and hardest hit - but my boss and myself followed in suit with fun slightly alternative versions.

Then came Saturday, a new beginning and a lovely diversion back into normal life. Saturday morning I headed out on a snowshoe hike hoping that physical exertion was just what the doctor ordered and it turns out; it was. Though I never found Babbage Reservoir, which I set out for, the trip was fruitful and beautiful. Sunny and blue skys, 40' and virgin snow as far as the eye can see on my trail. I take that back, there was a LOT of traffic evidence, yet all of it animal and frozen in the newly formed ice. Truth be told, it was intense. I was following the 'Glenbrook Trail' marked by (remember it's hardcore winter) white dots. Outstanding. I found myself often thinking 'lost for sure.' Also, it rained all day yesterday and though I didn't consider this before my venture; breaking new beautiful snow meant stomping ice soooooowly up and downhill getting my snowshoe lip caught and falling down every three minutes in the sporadic shade prone spots of this forest. Long story shorter, I suddenly find myself at the end of the #'*% trail and at a snowmobile path going exactly to my left and right as far I can see in both directions. No indication of which way brings me where I want to go. I told myself I'd walk five minutes to my left and five to my right, adding twenty minutes on to an already very long hike. Nothing. Seriously? I'm going home.

Funny thing is, I found myself appreciating and loving the road home. I realized; as I tromped back in the beautiful and complete opposite of grand rapids non-existent winter sunlight... on my 'custom stride,' pre-set snowshoe prints that going back is so much faster, SO much easier. I feel like we all sort of realize this. Even in our 'driving culture' we acknowledge that the way home always seems faster. Yet I've never superimposed this onto my life. The way back is always faster... easier. Gazing back, living in the past, sticking with and settling with what is comfortable is easiest. Moving forward, breaking new ground is harder. Yet, we seem to forget the big picture. Because hidden within, the real comfort remains. Even with moving forward - without knowledge of what may happen...the tracks you made are still there to follow back. We'll always have our blueprint to follow backwards, though we may (and hopefully) will be moving forward without that in mind. Needless to say, a great day in the woods indeed, long and filled with thoughtful distraction. Went to Kilkenny's Saturday night again, met up with the same great people. Oh yeah, booyah to making friends.

Today was Sunday. Roomie Dan was feeling better and I met him in town for coffee at "Brewbakers" this morning for some reading and baked goods. Spent the rest of the day and most of the evening cleaning our kitchen, 'shopping' in Chef Ash's community kitchen and cooking cabbage soup, tortilla espanola and quiche for this week's already-ready-already food. Sunday ended with yoga, the close of fervent cooking by taking out compost and feeding the animals the veggie nubs and getting ready for the bombardment of maple sugaring. Maple sugar is fully on for March and whiskey nights in the "Sugar House" begin. That and spring, what more could I ask for? Not much.

Sorry about the lack of follow through on the blog this week, I've been busy, sick and tired. Features this week will likely include the "animals" and more maple sugar pics and info. Love you all muchisimo and a half. XoXo.

No comments:

Post a Comment